Saturday, November 14, 2009

Blame it on Rio: Bebel Gilberto's hangouts


Brazil. That's one country I can't wait to fall in love with, to take home some of that sassy beachy sensuality and lively hip-shaking lifestyle that makes us North Americans seem like the totally repressed workaholics we are. Sigh. (Last night, out at a bar, I told my friend Lili I was moving to Spain for a few months, just for the sake of my mental health, but maybe Brazil would be a good choice as well.) Anyway, I often ask musicians to give me tips about hanging out in their hometowns, to tell me about the spots locals know about and also, places that inspired them.

Here's bossa nova icon Bebel Gilberto’s Rio de Janeiro, Brazil -- coconut water, mountain peaks and of course the beach.

ARPORADOR BEACH
The first thing I do when I arrive is check the weather. If the weather is good, I go to Ipanema beach. I’ll have a coconut water to clean myself from the plane, then go into the ocean and have a dip. The big coconut tree close to Posto Nuevo [9] is where all the most beautiful people meet, but if you walk about 500 metres, you'll find Arpoador beach. The water is cleaner and there is less people.

JOBI
It’s a very simple botequin [street bar] but it’s open from 11:00 a.m. until 5:00 in the morning. They know me, they know my mother... You can drink a Caipirinha, eat typical Brazilian foods, very cheap, and meet people from all different paths of society: elegant people, crazy people, young people... The Karne Seca Con Abobora [Dry meat and pumpkin] is a very good dish. Jobi: Av. Ataulfo de Paiva 1166, Leblon; 021/2274-0547; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil


UNIVERSO ORGANICO
What I would also do, me, Bebel, is go to Universo Orgânico. It’s owned by my friend, and they have all kinds of juices and vegetarian dishes -- energetic juices with flax seeds, I am addicted to it! Universo Orgânico: Rua Conde de Bernadote nº 26 / Lojas 105 e 106 Leblon, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; 3874-0186/2274-8983; www.universoorganico.com

MORRO DA URCA On the top of Morro da Urca [the smaller peak of the Sugarloaf Mountain] there are two venues; a little small piano bar where I used to play, and now I’m coming back to play on the big stage in a place that really inspired me. There is the most beautiful view of Rio de Janeiro. I started and ended many romances there! Go there and you will understand why Cariocas [Rio locals] and Brazilian people are so inspired. You go up there, and you will easily write a song.”